Busta Survives Potentially Fatal Disease.

Busta was approximately 18 weeks of age when he started to develop clinical signs of Parvo virus.  He was adopted form an animal shelter and had received one vaccination against Parvo virus.  Shortly after being adopted he became very lethargic, wouldn’t eat, and developed diarrhea with blood in it.  He was diagnosed with Parvo virus and a heavy infestation of roundworms.  He was very sick and was hospitalized and treated for a week.  Even after he went home it took several days for him to feel like his normal self.  He is blessed to have great owners and they were fortunate to have pet insurance to help with the cost of hospitalization.

Information on Parvo Virus

Parvovirus is a very serious and potentially life threatening disease in unvaccinated dogs or dogs who haven’t finished their vaccinations.

The virus is known to exist around the world and is very stable in most environments.  The virus can survive in hot and arid climates or at subzero temperatures for long periods of time.  Many people do not realize that it can last in soil for over a year and the virus could even be picked up on their shoes or clothing while walking or playing and brought into their house.

What are the clinical signs of parvovirus?

Most dogs will develop severe diarrhea and/ or vomiting.  Most will become very lethargic, will not want to eat or drink, and may have a high fever (104-106 Degrees)

 

What if your dog develops signs of parvovirus?

See your veterinarian as soon as possible.  There are many causes of vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.  There is a test to confirm parvovirus.  Patients with Parvo virus must be treated aggressively.  There is no specific treatment of this disease.  Patients must be kept well hydrated (Best done with IV fluids).  Most patients are placed on medications to prevent vomiting and are placed on antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections.  The death toll among parvovirus victims is significantly reduced when the disease is promptly diagnosed and treated.  Any secondary illnesses like roundworms or other intestinal parasites must be treated as well.

What can you do to prevent parvovirus?

Here are a few tips:

  • ·Make sure that your puppy is properly vaccinated against Parvo virus.  Adult dogs still need to be routinely vaccinated against Parvo.
  • ·You and your unvaccinated dog or puppy should not go to places where other dogs frequently visit (especially areas where unvaccinated dogs might visit).  Please ask your veterinarian when they feel comfortable for your pet to visit where other dogs might go.
  • ·Objects that may have came in contact with Parvo virus can be cleaned with dilute bleach –one-part household bleach to thirty-parts of water solution (approximately 1/2 ounce to one pint).
  • ·Areas exposed to Parvo virus should have any fecal material removed and the area disinfected with the bleach/water solution as a precaution.
  • ·The bleach/water solution can be used as part of a general cleaning process of areas frequented by other dogs.
  • ·A common mistake to avoid is to get another unvaccinated puppy and bring it home to an environment that is already contaminated with Parvo Virus.

·           ·           ·           ·           ·

Easter Pet Dangers

Easter is this Sunday. Be sure when decorating and celebrating the holiday that you keep your pet in mind as Easter can bring many dangers such as chocolate, Easter grass, and lilies.

“Unbeknownst to many pet owners, Easter lilies are highly toxic to cats,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline. “All parts of the Easter lily plant are poisonous – the petals, the leaves, the stem and even the pollen. Cats that ingest as few as one or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure.”

In most situations, symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures.

“There is no effective antidote to counteract lily poisoning, so the sooner you can get your cat to the veterinarian, the better his chances of survival will be,” said Brutlag. “If you see your cat licking or eating any part of an Easter lily, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately. If left untreated, his chances of survival are low.”

Treatment includes inducing vomiting, administering drugs like activated charcoal (to bind the poison in the stomach and intestines), intravenous fluid therapy to flush out the kidneys, and monitoring of kidney function through blood testing. The prognosis and the cost – both financially and physically – to the pet owner and cat, are best when treated immediately.

There are several other types of lilies that are toxic to cats as well. They are of the Lilium and Hemerocallis species and commonly referred to as Tiger lilies, Day lilies and Asiatic lilies. Popular in many gardens and yards, they can also result in severe acute kidney failure. These lilies are commonly found in florist bouquets, so it is imperative to check for poisonous flowers before bringing bouquets into the household. Other types of lilies – such as the Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies – are usually not a problem for cats and may cause only minor drooling.

Thankfully, lily poisoning does not occur in dogs or people. However, if a large amount is ingested, it can result in mild gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Other Dangers to Pets at Easter Time

Pet Poison Helpline also receives calls concerning pets that have ingested Easter grass and chocolate.

Usually green or yellow in color, Easter grass is the fake grass that often accompanies Easter baskets. When your cat or dog ingests something “stringy” like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. It can result in a linear foreign body and cause severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal surgery.

Lastly, during the week of Easter, calls to Pet Poison Helpline concerning dogs that have been poisoned by chocolate increase by nearly 200 percent. While the occasional chocolate chip in one cookie may not be an issue, certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. The chemical toxicity is due to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine) and results in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death. Other sources include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

Spring is in the air and Easter is a wonderful holiday. Remember that your pets will be curious about new items you bring into your household like Easter lilies, Easter grass and chocolate. Keep them a safe distance away from your pets’ reach and enjoy the holiday and the season.

 

SOURCE: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/seasons/easter/

April is National Heartworm Awareness Month

Did you know that heartworm disease is one of the most deadly diseases in pets? It is 100% preventable so call us today and ask about your pet’s heartworm prevention. Animal Hospital of Colorado Springs is offering an amazing deal on Iverhart Max! Purchase 12 doses (1 year supply) of Iverhart Max throughout the month of April for your dog or puppy and receive $5 off. Call us today at 719-579-9488 to schedule your pet’s examination.

Iverhart Max Promotion

April is National Heartworm Awareness Month! This means it’s the perfect time to get your canine companion their proper heartworm preventative. Animal Hospital of Colorado Springs is offering an amazing deal on Iverhart Max!  Purchase 12 doses (1 year supply) of Iverhart Max throughout the month of April for your dog or puppy and receive $5 off.

Iverhart Max is a monthly oral heartworm preventive medication which kills the immature form of the heartworm in dogs and puppies. Iverhart Max is also used to control several intestinal parasites.  Did you know that people can get several intestinal parasites as well?

 

Your dog or puppy must have an annual examination by one of our veterinarians and also test negative for heartworm disease in order to receive the discount. Call us today at 719-579-9488 to schedule your pet’s examination and ensure they are up-to-date on their heartworm preventative.